[Numpy-discussion] [IPython-dev] mercurial now has free hosting too

Gael Varoquaux gael.varoquaux at normalesup.org
Wed Mar 26 06:27:04 EDT 2008

On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 07:08:31PM +0900, David Cournapeau wrote:
> Gael Varoquaux wrote:
> > I have watch developpers switch to DVCS lately, and I must say it
> > requires a certain change in working habits. Let us wait for people to
> > get used to these new tools before discussing which one to you.

> I personally think that the supposed difficulty of DVCS is greatly
> exaggerated. Basic things are as easy with bzr/hg as they are with
> svn/svn: cheking out, committing, blame and log are exactly the same.

Look, I am not talking about theory, I am talking about sitting with
people and having to walk them through the conceptual difficulties,
mainly due to the fact that you no longer have only one development tree.
People are not used to that.

I agree that DVCS is much better then centralised VCS, and I love working
with it, I just feel that not everybody is ready for it yet, and that the
tools are not as mature as for SVN yet. I think both will come in a year
or two.

My 2 centimes,

Gaël