[Numpy-discussion] missing function in numpy.ma?

Travis E. Oliphant oliphant at enthought.com
Thu Mar 27 16:57:33 EDT 2008

Jarrod Millman wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 1:31 PM, Pierre GM <pgmdevlist at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Thursday 27 March 2008 16:11:22 Travis E. Oliphant wrote:
>>  > I guess what could be done is to take the old numpy.core.ma file and
>>  > move it into oldnumeric.ma (along with the few re-namings that are there
>>  > now)?  Could you test that option out and see if it works for you?
>>
>>  I'm currently re-introducing some functions  of numpy.core.ma in
>>  numpy.ma.core, fixing a couple of bugs along the way (for example, round: the
>>  current behavior of numpy.round is inconsistent: it'll return a MaskedArray
>>  if the nb of decimals is 0, but a regular ndarray otherwise, so I just coded
>>  a numpy.ma.round and the corresponding method).
>>  2-3 functions from numpy.core.ma (average, dot, and another one I can't
>>  remmbr) are already in numpy.ma.extras.
>>  I should update the SVN by later this afternoon.
>>

> Excellent, I prefer this approach.

If this works then it should be fine.  If it doesn't, however, then it
would not be too big a deal to just move the old implementation over.
In fact, I rather think it ought to be done anyway.

The oldnumeric directory will be disappearing in 1.1, so it doesn't
introduce any long-term burden and just makes 1.0.5 a bit more robust.

-Travis