[Numpy-discussion] Uncomfortable with matrix change

Timothy Hochberg tim.hochberg at ieee.org
Fri May 9 11:36:41 EDT 2008

On Fri, May 9, 2008 at 6:43 AM, Travis Oliphant <teoliphant at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm having trouble emailing this list from work, so I'm using a
> different email address.
>
> After Nathan Bell's recent complaints, I'm a bit more uncomfortable with
> the matrix change to scalar indexing.   It does and will break code in
> possibly hard-to-track down ways.   Also, Nathan has been a *huge*
> contributor to the Sparse matrix in scipy and so I value his opinion
> about the NumPy matrix.  One of my goals is to have those two objects
> work together a bit more seamlessly.
>
> So, I think we need to:
>
> 1) Add a warning to scalar access
> 2) Back-out the change and fix all the places where NumPy assumes
> incorrectly that the number of dimensions reduce on PySequence_GetItem.

+0

My personal opinion is that current matrix class is pretty useless and the
change won't help much from my point of view. My preference would be to
leave the matrix class alone, design a new matrix class, with a different
name, for 1.2 and then deprecate the old matrix class. Piecemeal fixing of
the matrix class is going to break someone's code and doesn't really get us
where we want to go.

Of course, since I think the matrix class is kind of useless, I'm not
terribly invested in this change one way or another.

> Opinions?
>
> -Travis

. __
. |-\