[Numpy-discussion] Uncomfortable with matrix change

Alan G Isaac aisaac at american.edu
Sat May 10 12:24:00 EDT 2008

On Sat, 10 May 2008, Keith Goodman apparently wrote:
> Shouldn't a deprecation warning explain what the future
> behavior will be?

I do not think so.  I think the warning should say:
"use x[0,:] instead of x[0] to return row 0 as a matrix."

> Is there a firm consensus on what that behavior will be?

My understanding of the plan:

        - step 1: scalar indexing and iteration returns 1d
          arrays.
        - possible step 2: scalar indexing and iteration
          return "oriented" 1d-array-like objects ("vectors")
          suitable for linear algebra.

Personally, I only care that step 1 is achieved.

Cheers,
Alan Isaac