[Numpy-discussion] Going toward time-based release ?

Joris De Ridder Joris.DeRidder at ster.kuleuven.be
Mon May 12 08:31:52 EDT 2008

On 12 May 2008, at 04:59, David Cournapeau wrote:

> Also, time-based releases are by definition predictable, and
> as such, it is easier to plan upgrades for users

As long as it does not imply that users have to upgrade every 3
months, because for some users this is impossible and/or undesirable.
By 'upgrading' I'm not only referring to numpy/scipy, but also to
external packages based on numpy/scipy.

As Mike, I'm a bit sceptic about the whole idea. The current way
doesn't seem broken, so why fix it? The argument that "time-based
releases avoids bugs caused by putting new untested things late in the
release" doesn't sound very convincing to me. Isn't this a discipline
issue? To me it seems that one can avoid this with feature-based
releases too. In fact won't the time-pressure of time-based releases
increase the tendency to include untested things?

Just the 2 cents of a user,
Joris