[Numpy-discussion] Going toward time-based release ?

Jarrod Millman millman at berkeley.edu
Mon May 12 12:52:26 EDT 2008

On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 9:18 AM, Robert Kern <robert.kern at gmail.com> wrote:
>  >  The MA situation was handled slightly differently, which is
>  >  unfortunate.  I think that it is a reasonable change to make in a
>  >  minor release, but we should have provided a warning first.  At least,
>  >  we are providing the old code still.  Do you think that we should
>  >  revisit this issue?  Since we are importing the new MA from a
>  >  different location maybe we should move the old code back to it's
>  >  original location.  Would it be reasonable to have:
>  >  from numpy import ma  -->  new code
>  >  from numpy.core import ma  --> old code w/ a deprecation warning
>
>  I think that might be better, yes.

I would like to hear from more people about whether they think this
would be a useful solution to the current complaints about the new MA
implementation.  In particular, I would like to hear from at least the
following people please:  Travis, Stefan, Pierre, and David.

--
Jarrod Millman
10 Giannini Hall, UC Berkeley