[Numpy-discussion] NumPtr vs NumPy.i to access C

Nathan Bell wnbell at gmail.com
Sat May 17 21:13:12 EDT 2008

On Sat, May 17, 2008 at 7:48 PM, Robert Kern <robert.kern at gmail.com> wrote:
> For the purposes to which SWIG was applied in that case, the findings
> are accurate.

IMO it's deliberately misleading.  The following three layers are
spurious and have no analog on the Cython stack:
   Python code to provide a clean interface
   Handcode C++ Integer class
   GMP's C++ Interface

A more honest comparison would list 3 layers for SWIG vs. 2 layers for Cython.

I don't have a hard time believing that Cython is a better choice for
fine-grained access to C/C++ code.  However contrived scenarios like
the above don't inspire my confidence either.  I have yet to see a
benchmark that reveals the claimed benefits of Cython.

Nathan Bell wnbell at gmail.com
http://graphics.cs.uiuc.edu/~wnbell/