[Numpy-discussion] svd in numpy

Bruce Southey bsouthey at gmail.com
Mon May 19 11:31:10 EDT 2008

Nripun Sredar wrote:
> I am running on Windows Xp, Intel Xeon CPU. I'd like to fill in a few
> more things here. If I send 0 in the second and third argument of svd
> then I get the singular_values, but if its 1 then the problem
> persists. I've tried this on sparse and non-sparse matrices. This is
> with the latest windows binaries numpy-1.0.4.win32-py2.5.msi.
>

> On Sat, May 17, 2008 at 2:34 AM, David Cournapeau
> <david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp <mailto:david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp>>
> wrote:
>
>     Nripun Sredar wrote:
>     > I have a sparse matrix 416x52. I tried to factorize this matrix
>     using
>     > svd from numpy. But it didn't produce a result and looked like it is
>     > in an infinite loop.
>     > I tried a similar operation using random numbers in the matrix. Even
>     > this is in an infinite loop.
>     > Did anyone else face a similar problem?
>     > Can anyone please give some suggestions?
>
>     Are you on windows ? What is the CPU on your machine ? I suspect
>     this is
>     caused by windows binaries which shipped blas/lapack without
>     support for
>     "old" CPU.
>
>     cheers,
>
>     David

Hi,
The issue relates to the closed ticket 627:
http://www.scipy.org/scipy/numpy/ticket/627

Please update to the latest Numpy 1.1 (rc1 is available) or, as a
temporary measure, use the installer:

http://www.ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp/members/david/archives/numpy-superpack-python2.5.exe

That uses numpy version 1.0.5.dev5008 which should solve you problem.

Regards
Bruce