[Numpy-discussion] [Numpy-svn] r5198 - trunk/numpy/f2py

Jarrod Millman millman at berkeley.edu
Tue May 20 06:36:41 EDT 2008

On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 10:29 PM, Pearu Peterson <pearu at cens.ioc.ee> wrote:
> On Tue, May 20, 2008 1:26 am, Robert Kern wrote:
>> Is this an important bugfix? If not, can you hold off until 1.1.0 is
>> released?
>
> The patch fixes a long existing and unreported bug in f2py - I think
> the bug was introduced when Python defined min and max functions.
> I learned about the bug when reading a manuscript about f2py. Such bugs
> should not end up in a paper demonstrating f2py inability to process
> certain features as it would have not been designed to do so. So, I'd consider
> the bugfix important.

I have been struggling to try and get a stable release out since
February and every time I think that the release is almost ready some
piece of code changes that requires me to delay.  While overall the
code has continuously improved over this period, I think it is time to
get these improvements to our users.

That said, I am willing to leave this change on the trunk, but please
refrain from making any more changes until we release 1.1.0.  I know
it can be frustrating, but, I believe, this is the first time I have
asked the community to not make commits to the trunk since I started
handling releases almost a year ago.  The freeze has only been in
effect since Saturday and will last less than one week in total.  I
would have preferred if you could have made this change during any one
of the other 51 weeks of the year.

> Hmm, I also thought that the trunk is open for development, even though
> r5198 is only fixing a bug (and I do not plan to develop f2py in numpy
> further, just fix bugs and maintain it). If the release process
> is going to take for weeks and is locking the trunk, may be the
> release candidates should live in a separate branch?

Sorry for the confusion, I had asked that everyone "be extremely
conservative and careful about any commits you make to the trunk until
we officially release 1.1.0, " which is still pretty much the rule of
thumb.  I have been keeping the 1.1.0 milestone page up-to-date with
regard to my planned release date; but I should have highlighted the
date in my email.  The main reason that this is happening on the trunk
is that about two weeks ago I created a 1.1.x branch, but I didn't
think all the bug-fixes for the 1.1.0 release were being made to the
branch and the branch and the trunk got out of synch enough that it
was difficult for me to merge the fixes in the trunk into the branch,
so I deleted the branch and declared the trunk to again be where 1.1.x
development occurred.

I fully intend to release 1.1.0 by the end of the week.  I also intend
to create a 1.1.x maintenance branch at that point, so the trunk will
be open for 1.2 development.  As long as you are only going to be
adding bug-fixes to numpy.f2py, I think that you should be able to use
the trunk for this purpose once I create the 1.1.x branch.

Thanks,

--
Jarrod Millman
10 Giannini Hall, UC Berkeley