[Numpy-discussion] Shouldn't numpy.core modules avoid calling numpy.lib ?

David Cournapeau david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Tue May 20 22:39:05 EDT 2008

Charles R Harris wrote:

> On Tue, May 20, 2008 at 8:14 PM, David Cournapeau
> <david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp <mailto:david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp>>
> wrote:
>
>     Hi,
>
>        I noticed that some functions in numpy.core call functions in
>     numpy.lib. Shouldn't this be avoided as much as possible, to avoid
>     potential circular import, dependencies, etc... ?
>

> Probably not.

Probably not avoided, or should probably not be called ?

> But numpy/lib looks like a basement closet to me, anyway. What
> functions are getting called?

I can see at least one: numpy.lib.issubtype in core/defmatrix.py, called
once. I am trying to see why importing numpy is slow, and those circular
import make the thing difficult to understand (or maybe I am just too
new to dtrace to understand how to use it effectively here).

cheers,

David