[Numpy-discussion] Shouldn't test(all=1) be the default?

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Wed May 21 19:00:13 EDT 2008

On Wed, May 21, 2008 at 5:49 PM, Charles R Harris
<charlesr.harris at gmail.com> wrote:
> Several problems would have been caught early on if test(all=1) had been the
> default. Is there a reason it is not so?

This dates back a long ways. Presumably, important tests were to be
associated with module names, and extra tests (like benchmarks)
weren't. But I really don't know the entire thinking behind it. We
should probably turn it to True for the rest of the 1.1.y series.

Anyways, all of this is getting replaced in 1.2 and is already gone in
scipy; the practice of naming test files like the modules they test
won't be required anymore.

--
Robert Kern

though it had an underlying truth."