[Numpy-discussion] Fix to #789 maybe not right.

Charles R Harris charlesr.harris at gmail.com
Wed May 21 23:43:54 EDT 2008

On Wed, May 21, 2008 at 9:32 PM, Travis E. Oliphant <oliphant at enthought.com>
wrote:

> Charles R Harris wrote:
> > Really, all the increments and decrements should be inside
> > PyArray_FromArray, but calls to this function are scattered all over.
> I don't understand what you mean by this statement.    All functions
> that return an object and take a PyArray_Descr object steal a reference
> to the descriptor (even if it fails).   That's the rule.

Why should it not increment the reference itself? Note that calls to this
function are normally preceded by incrementing the reference, probably
because one wants to keep it around. I think it would be clearer to have the
rule: you increment it, you decrement it. That way everything is in one
obvious place and you don't have to concern yourself with what happens
inside PyArray_FromArray. Functions with side effects are almost always a
bad idea and lead to bugs in practice.

Chuck