[Numpy-discussion] Buildbot errors.

Anne Archibald peridot.faceted at gmail.com
Sat May 24 15:33:32 EDT 2008

2008/5/24 Charles R Harris <charlesr.harris at gmail.com>:

> I take that back,  I got confused looking through the output. The errors are
> the same and only seem to happen when valgrind runs the tests.

Sounds like maybe valgrind is not IEEE clean:

"""
As of version 3.0.0, Valgrind has the following limitations in its
implementation of x86/AMD64 floating point relative to IEEE754.
"""
+
"""
Numeric exceptions in FP code: IEEE754 defines five types of numeric
exception that can happen: invalid operation (sqrt of negative number,
etc), division by zero, overflow, underflow, inexact (loss of
precision).

For each exception, two courses of action are defined by IEEE754:
either (1) a user-defined exception handler may be called, or (2) a
default action is defined, which "fixes things up" and allows the
computation to proceed without throwing an exception.

Currently Valgrind only supports the default fixup actions. Again,
feedback on the importance of exception support would be appreciated.

When Valgrind detects that the program is trying to exceed any of
these limitations (setting exception handlers, rounding mode, or
precision control), it can print a message giving a traceback of where
this has happened, and continue execution. This behaviour used to be
the default, but the messages are annoying and so showing them is now
disabled by default. Use --show-emwarns=yes to see them.
"""

Anne