[Numpy-discussion] ufunc oddities

Alan G Isaac aisaac at american.edu
Sun May 25 00:08:57 EDT 2008

On Sat, 24 May 2008, Charles R Harris apparently wrote:
> Shouldn't that be the other way round? If you want integers, do
> x.sum(dtype=int). Ints don't sum in float64 by default.

I was not taking a normative position.
Just illustrating the current behavior.

I think both sides have a point in this discussion.
It sounds like the behavior you like will be costly (in
time) to implement, so it would have to be substantially
better to be worth doing.  I personally like it better,
but I worry new users will be startled.  (I suppose
I would address this by always having the default
accumulator be ``float``, figuring that anyone who does not
like that will know what to do about it.)

Cheers,
Alan