[Numpy-discussion] Controlling the way a module is imported

David Cournapeau david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Tue May 27 00:01:06 EDT 2008

Lisandro Dalcin wrote:
> David, I've implemented something like this for petsc4py.
>
> Basically, I want to be able to build extension modules accessing
> PETSc for different configuration options (for example, optimized
> versus debug), when using PETSc, it is normal to select the build
> variant by a $PETSC_ARCH environ var.

Yes, that's another solution I forgot to mention.

> If you think this fits your needs, then I'll help you. Buth then I'll
> need to know a bit more about the directory tree structure of your
> package and your extension modules.

Thanks, but I already have the code to dynamically load a module from a
string. My problem is how to control it, and how we want to do this kind
of things. Up to know, scipy have never depended on env variables or
configuration files, so I don't want to introduce this kind of things
without discussing it first.

cheers,

David