[Numpy-discussion] Binary ufuncs: minimum

Christopher Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Tue May 27 18:39:00 EDT 2008

Travis E. Oliphant wrote:
> Yes, it does make sense to me for abs to use an unsigned type for integers.

I'm not so sure. I know I wouldn't expect to get a different type back
with a call to abs(). Do we really want to change that expectation just
for the case of MIN_INT?

While everyone is going to want an unsigned value when calling abs(),
who knows if they might want to use negative numbers later? Like:

x = abs(x)
x *= -1

Now what do we get/want?

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov