[Numpy-discussion] segmentation fault

Alan McIntyre alan.mcintyre at gmail.com
Wed May 28 16:06:54 EDT 2008

On Wed, May 28, 2008 at 3:34 PM, Charles R Harris
<charlesr.harris at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I wonder if this is something that ought to be looked at for all
>> functions with an "out" parameter?  ndarray.compress also had problems
>> with array type mismatch (#789); I can't imagine that it's safe to
>> assume only these two functions were doing it incorrectly. (Unless of
>> course somebody has recently looked at all of them)
>
> I think that is an excellent idea! A good start would be to list all the
> functions with the out parameter and then write some tests. The current
> behavior is inconsistent and we not only need to specify the behavior, but
> fix all the places that don't follow the rules.

There's a ticket (#416) that calls for the docstrings of such
functions to be updated as well; that's something that should be easy
to do at the same time.  Since I'm working on tests nowadays, I'll see
if I can work on coming up with a list and at least writing some
tests.