[Numpy-discussion] segmentation fault

Stéfan van der Walt stefan at sun.ac.za
Wed May 28 16:19:16 EDT 2008

2008/5/28 Alan McIntyre <alan.mcintyre at gmail.com>:
> On Wed, May 28, 2008 at 3:34 PM, Charles R Harris
> <charlesr.harris at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I wonder if this is something that ought to be looked at for all
>>> functions with an "out" parameter?  ndarray.compress also had problems
>>> with array type mismatch (#789); I can't imagine that it's safe to
>>> assume only these two functions were doing it incorrectly. (Unless of
>>> course somebody has recently looked at all of them)
>>
>> I think that is an excellent idea! A good start would be to list all the
>> functions with the out parameter and then write some tests. The current
>> behavior is inconsistent and we not only need to specify the behavior, but
>> fix all the places that don't follow the rules.
>
> There's a ticket (#416) that calls for the docstrings of such
> functions to be updated as well; that's something that should be easy
> to do at the same time.  Since I'm working on tests nowadays, I'll see
> if I can work on coming up with a list and at least writing some
> tests.

A reminder: if docstrings need to be updated, it is really easy to do:

http://sd-2116.dedibox.fr/doc/Docstrings/

Pauli has been hard at work at writing a Django app to replace the
current wiki.  It has proper work-flow, status tags and lots more
bells-and-whistles; we'll soon switch over.  In the meantime, the wiki
remains the place to go.

Regards
Stéfan