[Numpy-discussion] Question for Travis

Charles R Harris charlesr.harris at gmail.com
Thu May 29 15:33:34 EDT 2008

Travis,

What are the fundamental types for ndarrays? We have the c types,
'bBhHiIlLqQfdg', together with the boolean and complex types. Then we have
types defined by length, int8, uint8, etc. The long types change length
going from 32 to 64 bit machines, so there can be a couple of c-types
corresponding to the same precision. So I am wondering which types should be
considered "fundamental" and what types are used to identify pickled arrays
and arrays stored with the new .nz formats.

Chuck