[Numpy-discussion] atlas not found, why?

David Cournapeau david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Fri Nov 7 04:26:02 EST 2008

David Cournapeau wrote:

> Ok, I took a brief look at this: I forgot that Ubuntu and Debian added
> an aditional library suffix to libraries depending on gfortran ABI. I
> added support for this in numpy.distutils - which was looking for
> libraries explicitely; could you retry *without* a site.cfg ? It
> should work, now,

And it won't, because I am afraid the Ubuntu atlas package is broken in
8.10... They use the gfortran  ABI, but they built the fortran wrappers
with g77, according to ATL_buildinfo.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/atlas/+bug/295051

I would strongly advise using atlas on Ubuntu 8.10 until this bug is
solved: it means any numpy/scipy code using linear algebra is
potentially broken (segfault, wrong results).

cheers,

David