[Numpy-discussion] Questions on error handling/refcounting in some ufunc object loops.

Charles R Harris charlesr.harris at gmail.com
Fri Nov 14 01:39:47 EST 2008

On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 11:01 PM, David Cournapeau <
david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp> wrote:

> Charles R Harris wrote:
> >

> > On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 10:50 PM, David Cournapeau
> > <david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp <mailto:david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp>>
> > wrote:
> >
> >     Robert Kern wrote:
> >     >
> >     > There are ufunc loop implementations outside of numpy. It would
> >     break
> >     > the API, specifically the typedef PyUFuncGenericFunction.
> >     >

> >     Would something like a ufunc-specific errno be acceptable in that
> >     case ?
> >

> > That might get tricky with threading in the mix.
>
> The trick is at configuration, to know how to "tag" a variable for TLS.
> Windows can do it, posix has it (errno is thread-specific in recent
> posix). I don't know of any other solution, since returning error code
> is not possible, but maybe there is ?

BTW, David, would you mind if I moved the rest of the function definitions
into math_c99? I would like to separate the loops from the functions. It
might also be nice to have a template somewhere to combine all the code
pieces. Having includes scattered here and there through the code is a bit
obscure.

Chuck