[Numpy-discussion] Fast and efficient way to convert an array into binary

frank wang f.yw at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 18 15:15:50 EST 2008

Hi,

I have a large array and I want to convert it into a binary array. For exampe, y=array([1,2,3]), after the convertion I want the result array([0,0,0,1,0,0,1,0,0,0,1,1]). Each digit is converted into 4 bits in this example. In my real problem I want to convert each digit to 8 bits. My data is numpy.ndarray and the shape is, say, (1000,).

Are there fast and efficient solution for this?

Thanks

Frank