[Numpy-discussion] glibc memory corruption when running numpy.test()

Hoyt Koepke hoytak at cs.ubc.ca
Thu Nov 20 04:14:34 EST 2008

Hi,

> I honestly don't think those flags matter much in the case of
> numpy/scipy. In particular, using SSE and co automatically is simply
> impossible in numpy case, since the C code is very generic (non-aligned
> - non contiguous items) and the compiler has no way to know at compile
> time which cases are contiguous.

Good to know.  I'll try to surpress my desire to optimize and not care
about them :-).

> Those errors seem link to  the flags you have been using. Some errors
> are really strange (4 vs 8 bytes types), but I don't see how it could be
> explained by a mismatch of 32 vs 64 bits machine code (to the best of my
> knowledge, you can't mix 32 and 64 bits machine code in one binary).
> Maybe a compiler bug when using -march flag.
>
> Please try building numpy wo BLAS/LAPACK and wo compiler flags first, to
> test that the bare configuration does work, and that the problems are
> not due to some bugs in your toolchain/OS/etc... The test suite should
> run without any failure in this case; then, we can work on the
> BLAS/LAPACK thing,

I believe the logs I attached (or rather linked to) don't involve
atlas or lapack or any compiler flags.  I agree that they are strange
and I may have something weird floating around.  It's getting late
here, so I'll double check everything in the morning and may try to
run gcc's test suite to verify that isn't the problem.

Thanks again!

--Hoyt

> cheers,
>
> David

+ Hoyt Koepke
+ University of Washington Department of Statistics
+ http://www.stat.washington.edu/~hoytak/
+ hoytak at gmail.com