[Numpy-discussion] Proposal for changing the names of inverse trigonometrical/hyperbolic functions

Gabriel Gellner ggellner at uoguelph.ca
Mon Nov 24 16:22:02 EST 2008

> There is resistance. Please don't remove the old names. Also note that
> your proposed change will alter people's code in subtle, but potentially
> very "interesting" ways:

> False
> True
>
> asin(1j) raises an exception, arcsin doesn't. They are *different*
> functions, hence the names.

Yet:

>>> type(np.sin(1)) == type(math.sin(1))
False

And they have the same name. Isn't this what name spaces are for? I think it is
strange that some of the math functions have the same name, and some don't. I
can't see how being different functions justifies this, or we need to rename
the normal trig functions.

I can see not wanting to break API compatibility but I don't find the
`different functions` argument compelling.

Gabriel