[Numpy-discussion] PIL.Image.fromarray bug in numpy interface

Stéfan van der Walt stefan at sun.ac.za
Tue Nov 25 08:17:06 EST 2008

2008/11/24 Chris Barker <Chris.Barker at noaa.gov>:
> Robert Kern wrote:
>>> Jim Vickroy wrote:
>>> While using the PIL interface to numpy, I rediscovered a logic error
>>> in the PIL.Image.fromarray() procedure.  The problem (and a solution)
>>> was mentioned earlier at:
>
>> Tell them that we approve of the change. We don't have commit access
>> to PIL, so I believe that our approval is the only reason they could
>> possibly send you over here.
>
> Just for the record, it was me that "sent him over here". I thought it
> would be good for a numpy dev to check out the patch for correctnesses
> -- it looked like a numpy API issue, and I figured Fredrik wouldn't want
> to look too hard at it to determine if it was correct.
>
> so if you "approval" means you've looked at the fix and think it's
> correct, great!

I also submitted an issue in 2007:

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/image-sig/2007-August/004570.html

I recently reminded Frederik, who replied:

"The NumPy support was somewhat broken and has been partially rewritten
for PIL 1.2; I'll compare those fixes with your patch when I find the
time."

So, I guess we should try the latest PIL and see if the problems are
still there?

Cheers
Stéfan