[Numpy-discussion] Problems building numpy on solaris 10 x86

David Cournapeau cournape at gmail.com
Wed Nov 26 23:47:42 EST 2008

On Thu, Nov 27, 2008 at 1:38 PM, Michael Abshoff
<michael.abshoff at googlemail.com> wrote:

> Why? What do you think makes sunperf problematic? [Not that I want to do
> the work, just curious :)]

I *know* it will be difficult :) The problem of sunperf is that you
cannot just link a few libraries to make it work, you need to use
compiler specific options like -xlic_lib=sunperf + some compiler
options like align and co. Worse, at least of the versions I tried,
the option does not work for shared libraries (when using the -G
option). So using it with gcc is complicated.

The only reason why it works in numscons is because there is a
workaround ala autoconf which links sunperf to a dummy main, and I
added a small linker parser which parse the output of verbose link
step to get the options dynamically:

http://bazaar.launchpad.net/%7Edavid-ar/numpy.scons.support/0.9/annotate/314?file_id=misc.py-20080116113453-hssst2gc3fs30vre-1

In theory, it could be added with distutils. Not that I will do it
myself either, though.

David