[Numpy-discussion] Proposal: scipy.spatial

David Bolme bolme1234 at comcast.net
Thu Oct 2 17:17:13 EDT 2008

It may be useful to have an interface that handles both cases:
similarity and dissimilarity.  Often I have seen "Nearest Neighbor"
algorithms that look for maximum similarity instead of minimum
distance.  In my field (biometrics) we often deal with very
specialized distance or similarity measures.  I would like to see
support for user defined distance and similarity functions.  It should
be easy to implement by passing a function object to the KNN class.  I
am not sure if kd-trees or other fast algorithms are compatible with
similarities or non-euclidian norms, however I would be willing to
implement an exhaustive search KNN that would support user defined
functions.