[Numpy-discussion] ImportError: No module named ma

John Harrold john.m.harrold at gmail.com
Tue Oct 7 18:18:48 EDT 2008

Sometime in October, Christopher Barker proposed the following:

| the installation package for OS-X is for the python.org build -- from
| the above, I can see you are running Apple's python, which came with a
| version of numpy.
|
| I don't remember how you installed matplotlib, but in general, most
| extrenal packages are built for the python or python, so what I wold do is:
|
| download and install python 2.5.2 from python.org (2.6 is brand new, and
| not yet well supported by external packages)
|
| re-install numpy 1.2.0 (may not be necessary, but it won't hurt)
|
| re-install MPL.
|
| you can tell what python you are running by typing "python" n the
| command line -- it should be 2.5.2 if it's the python.org one. If that's
| not what you get, you may need to edit your .bash_profile file to add it
| to your PATH.

Thanks Chris,

This worked great. Along with the above mentioned stuff, I also  had a bit
of trouble installing the MPL egg which seems to be mac specific.  This was
also pretty useful in fixing that:

http://www.nabble.com/OS-X-(Intel-Mac)-installation-woes-td19011120.html

The important part being:
  That said, the build on the matplotlib website is self-sufficient save
  for numpy, use the -N flag to easy_install (and don't forget to run it
  with sudo). This should take care of things.

--
 John M Harrold