[Numpy-discussion] can't build numpy 1.2.0 under python 2.6 (windows-amd64) using VS9

David Cournapeau david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Wed Oct 8 09:44:25 EDT 2008

Ravi wrote:
> On Wednesday 08 October 2008 03:39:32 David Cournapeau wrote:
>
>> Note that 1.2.0 does not officially support python 2.6, specially on
>> windows. Because python 2.6 uses a new toolchain (VS 2008 by default
>> instead of 2003), it requires some non trivial changes.
>>

> How extensive are these non-trivial changes? I could help test any changes.

For one, the manifest madness introduced with VS 2005 may be painful to
handle, since it severly lacks any serious documentation. I am still
unsure whether we will need to care at all, though.

Another problem is that python headers are not "clean", they pollute the
namespace quite heavily; a new version of python means new names added:
those should be trivial, though.

Other things are the usual: brokenness of MS tools with respect to
standards (basic C99 functions not available, etc...). Every version of
MS tool is broken, but in a different way.

cheers,

David