[Numpy-discussion] can't build numpy 1.2.0 under python 2.6 (windows-amd64) using VS9

David Cournapeau david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Wed Oct 8 10:25:14 EDT 2008

Ravi wrote:

> The reasons above are why I don't try to do anything on Windows unless there
> is support from some external source, e.g., CMake taking care of build issues.
> The reasons above are also why I admire your heroic efforts at making Windows
> binaries available. But, then, I sometimes wonder about the motivation for an
> unpaid volunteer to take on an utterly thankless job in which help is never
> forthcoming from users;

I think numpy and scipy have a wonderful potential, and that currently,
installation is the biggest hurdle. I can show some awesome things in
numpy/scipy and co that people used to matlab would only dream of. But
if it takes more than 2 minutes and a few clicks to install, it is of no
use. I have some people who ask me how to install numpy/scipy, and I
have no simple answer: I think this is by far the biggest barrier of
entry for numpy and scipy ATM. That's why I am interested in making
numpy and scipy installation easy.

> Thank for taking on this arduous task.

Just want to mention I am certainly not the only one involved here for
windows binaries. This is really a collective work,

cheers,

David