[Numpy-discussion] LU factorization?

Charles R Harris charlesr.harris at gmail.com
Wed Oct 15 15:49:54 EDT 2008

On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 1:06 PM, Robert Kern <robert.kern at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 00:23, Charles R Harris
> <charlesr.harris at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > numpy.linalg has qr and cholesky factorizations, but LU factorization is
> > only available in scipy. That doesn't seem quite right. I think is would
> > make sense to include the LU factorization in numpy among the basic
> linalg
> > operations, and probably LU_solve also. Thoughts?
>
> -1. As far as I am concerned, numpy.linalg exists because Numeric had
> LinearAlgebra, and we had to provide it to allow people to upgrade. I
> do not want to see an expansion of functionality to maintain.

I would be happier with that argument if scipy was broken into separately
downloadable modules and released on a regular schedule.  As is, I think
that exposing already existing (and used) functions in numpy lapack_lite is
unlikely to increase the maitainence burden and will add to the usefulness
of barebones numpy out of the box.

Chuck