[Numpy-discussion] LU factorization?

Charles R Harris charlesr.harris at gmail.com
Thu Oct 16 00:41:28 EDT 2008

OK, I take this as a go ahead with the proviso that it's my problem. The big
question is naming. Scipy has

lu
lu_factor
lu_solve

cholesky
cho_factor
cho_solve

The code for lu and lu_factor isn't the same, although they both look to
call the same underlying function; the same is true of the cholesky code. I
also see various functions with the same names as their numpy counterparts.
So my inclination would be to use lu and lu_solve. Likewise, maybe add
cho_solve to compliment cholesky. I don't have strong preferences one way or
the other. Thoughts?

Chuck