[Numpy-discussion] docs.scipy.org -- new site for the documentation marathon

Nathan Bell wnbell at gmail.com
Sun Oct 26 12:41:28 EDT 2008

On Sun, Oct 26, 2008 at 10:13 AM, Pauli Virtanen <pav at iki.fi> wrote:

> Now, the role of docs.scipy.org warrants discussion, because on the one
> hand, the domain "docs.scipy.org" looks very official, and on the other
> hand, "scipy.org/Documentation" claims to be the place for official
> documentation. What do you think: should we use the current front page
> of docs.scipy.org, shifting the focus and entry point of documentation
> to the Sphinx-generated pages, or still keep the focus on the Moin wiki
> at scipy.org?
>
> I'd like to see a move towards a full dedicated documentation site -- I
> believe using Sphinx is the way to go in the future, and documentation
> generated by it does have a reassuring and clear visual appearance.
> Also, making the Sphinx documentation more prominent could help people
> to focus documentation efforts, and write more of it :)

Great work, I definitely like the look of the Sphinx documentation.

As a concrete example of your question, I've been working on some
scipy.sparse documentation [1], and it seems like it will be fairly
lengthy when completed.  Would it be appropriate to merge it into the
Sphinx documentation for scipy.sparse [2], or should the Sphinx docs
be more concise?

[1] http://www.scipy.org/SciPyPackages/Sparse
[2] http://docs.scipy.org/doc/scipy/reference/sparse.html

Nathan Bell wnbell at gmail.com