[Numpy-discussion] (Late) summary of PEP-225 discussion at Scipy

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Mon Oct 27 15:27:46 EDT 2008

On Mon, Oct 27, 2008 at 11:31 AM, Eric Firing <efiring at hawaii.edu> wrote:
> James Philbin wrote:
>> One operator which could be used is '%'. We could keep the current
>> behaviour for ARRAY%SCALAR but have ARRAY%ARRAY as being matrix
>> multiplication. It has the same precedence as *,/.
>>

> No, having completely unrelated meanings for the same operator symbol
> sounds like a recipe for chaos.  The whole point is to make the code
> more readable, not less.

Big -1 from me on this one too, for the same reasons Eric states.

I just got back from some travel and will try to update the doc later
this evening with all the feedback and will post again, so that we can
converge on a final doc, which I'll then pitch over the fence to the
python-dev list.

Thanks to all who have written, and keep it coming!

Cheers,