[Numpy-discussion] ParallelProgramming wiki page

Robin robince at gmail.com
Mon Oct 27 17:28:49 EDT 2008

On Mon, Oct 27, 2008 at 9:17 PM, dmitrey <dmitrey.kroshko at scipy.org> wrote:
> As for the ParallelProgramming wiki page, there are some words in
> section "Use parallel primitives" about numpy.dot still I can't
> understand from the section: if I get numpy from sources and compile it
> (via "python setup.py build") in my AMD X2, will numpy.dot use 2nd CPU
> or not?

Not unless you build numpy against a paralell enabled BLAS, for
example Intel MKL, ATLAS etc.

I think if you compile ATLAS with threading enabled, and then build
numpy using the appropriate ptlapack libraries (I forget the exact
name) then the dot should use the second CPU. As Frederic added to the
wiki - the number of threads to use can only be provided to atlas at
compile time.

With MKL I think you can choose this at run time (I think through an
environment variable but I'm not sure).

Similarly with the GOTO blas, but I'm not sure if numpy builds with
that, so maybe we should take that reference out.

Robin