[Numpy-discussion] numpy 1.1.1 fails because of missing md5

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Wed Sep 3 15:24:23 EDT 2008

On Wed, Sep 3, 2008 at 10:39, Charles Doutriaux <doutriaux1 at llnl.gov> wrote:
> Hi Robert,
>
> The first email got intercepted because the attachment was too big (awaits
> moderator), so i compressed the log and I resend this email.
>
> I'm attaching my Python build log, can you spot anything? It "seems" like
> md5 is built, i get a very similar log on my machine and i have a working
> import md5.

md5.py gets installed, but it just (eventually) imports from one of
the extension modules _md5 or _hashlib, neither of which is getting
built. The errors following the line

  building '_hashlib' extension

are relevant. OpenSSL gets used for its hash function implementations
if it is available. The configuration thinks you want it to use
OpenSSL, so it tries to build _hashlib, which fails. If the
configuration thought you didn't want to use OpenSSL, it would try to
build _md5.

--
Robert Kern

though it had an underlying truth."