[Numpy-discussion] numpy build on windows

David Cournapeau david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Thu Sep 4 11:10:21 EDT 2008

Miroslav Sabljic wrote:
> Hy people!
>
> I'm quite a newbie regarding numpy so please excuse if I'm asking
> stupid questions.

No stupid question. Stupid answer may follow, though...

> I need to build Python and couple of his site-packages on Windows
> using Visual studio 2008. I've built Python 2.5.1 and now it's turn to
> build numpy and I'm quite stuck because numpy build process is a
> little confusing for me. So far I've read the instructions on
> http://www.scipy.org/Installing_SciPy/Windows and created site.cfg
> file with the following content:

Ok, you are building on windows, with a custom python, on windows 64
bits, with MKL... That's a lot at the same time. I would first try
building numpy without the MKL with VS 2008, because this is already a
challenge by itself. Did you you try it ? Did it work ? Did the tests
pass ? Are you trying to build a 32 bits numpy (as suggested by the MKL
in x86 dir), or a 64 bits numpy ?

cheers,

David