[Numpy-discussion] creating or truncating SD files in pyhdf

Catherine Moroney Catherine.M.Moroney at jpl.nasa.gov
Thu Sep 11 16:54:49 EDT 2008

What is the correct way to create an SD file (if it doesn't already
exist),
or truncate and then rewrite an existing one?  Does it matter which
order
the file-access options are set?

For instance, here's my code:

self.flhdf_stereo = SD.SD(flname_stereo, \
                           SD.SDC.TRUNC|SD.SDC.WRITE|SD.SDC.CREATE)

and this fails if the file already exists, complaining that it can't
open
the path, even though the path is valid.  This is the case if the file
already exists.

If the file doesn't exist, then it works just fine.  Additionally, if
I remove the "TRUNC" option then the file is opened without any
problems.

However, I need to truncate the file if it already exists.  How do I do
this?

Catherine