[Numpy-discussion] building numpy locally but get error: undefined symbol: zgesdd_

Tue Sep 16 11:57:22 EDT 2008

Hi,

On Sep 16, 2008, at 11:13 AM, David Cournapeau wrote:

> Yes, I think they package everything by themselves. I am starting to
> think that we should do the same for blas/lapack, that's also how R
> does
> it by default, and I am so tired of seeing the same errors coming
> again
> and again. I think that distributions will never package blas/lapack
> correctly, it is hopeless.

Just out of curiosity.

Humor me for a bit and let's assume that in many cases, the machines
that people are building numpy/scipy on will most likely also have
some install of R. Perhaps it's a compute server in your lab, or your
own machine (for which pre-built versions of R most likely exist
anyway).

Is it possible to conjure up some special flag people can use during a
numpy/scipy build/install so that they are able to link against the
packaged libraries in the canonical install of R for their platform,
or is that a totally bone-headed idea?

-steve