[Numpy-discussion] building numpy locally but get error: undefined symbol: zgesdd_

David Cournapeau david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Tue Sep 16 21:37:15 EDT 2008

Francis wrote:

> To be frank, I am bit of noob, but not completely. I use the gfortran
> make.inc to build lapack. The make.inc file to build and install atlas
> is using gfortran.  I used the --fcompiler=gfortran flag. I don't
> think there is much else I can do.

Yes there is :) You should use --fcompiler=gnu95, not gfortran. That
would explain the problem you had, actually. There is no problem being a
noob: compiling numpy itself is easy, but unfortunately, its
dependencies are not, and are almost systematically badly packaged by
distributions. To make the situation worse, there are still two widely
used gnu fortran compilers, which are ABI incompatible...

> Unfortunately there is no EPD installer for Centos 5 version. There
> was a blog how to install it, but that look a lot more complicated
> than what I am trying now.
>
> I will try to build sage and look if I can build numpy against the
> atlas libraries in sage. Otherwise I use sage and remove all the
> packages that are not relevant for me, e.g. maxima, gap, singular,
> etc.

I am really sorry for all this trouble. The last solution you could try,
with a bit old packages is my own repository, with Centos packages:

http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/ashigabou/CentOS_5/

Install the numpy and scipy packages from there. There is also a src.rpm
for atlas, which enables you to build atlas rpm automatically optimized
for your CPU using one command (look at build atlas from ashigabou
repository on www.scipy.org/Installing_Scipy/Linux).

I have been trying to update those packages yesterday, but some
network-related problems prevented me from.

cheers,

David