[Numpy-discussion] profiling line by line

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Sat Sep 27 04:31:43 EDT 2008

On Sat, Sep 27, 2008 at 00:50, Fernando Perez <fperez.net at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey,
>
> On Fri, Sep 26, 2008 at 5:36 PM, Robert Kern <robert.kern at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> There is now! Add
>>
>>    import line_profiler
>>    ip.expose_magic('lprun', line_profiler.magic_lprun)
>>
>> to your ipy_user_conf.py .
>
> Mmh, should we ship this out of the box in ipython?  The  C dependency
> is the only thing that  gives me a bit of pause.  There goes our pure
> C, easy to build binaries for... On the other  hand, me wants :)
>
> What's your take on that?

I'd prefer not to. The exclusion of C modules is an eminently
reasonable one. You would inevitably make it optional, and my opinion
is that optional functionality is best handled by separate packages.

Feel free to add it as "highly recommended" in the IPython
installation instructions, though.  :-)

--
Robert Kern

though it had an underlying truth."