[Numpy-discussion] What is the sign of nan?

David Cournapeau david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Tue Sep 30 00:09:37 EDT 2008

Charles R Harris wrote:

> Yes, that too. But I was thinking of the ufunc returning nan when needed

I think this is better for consistency, yes. NaN is not a number, so it
has no sign :) More seriously, I think those features should be clearly
listed and thought out before being implemented, particularly wrt error
handling and testing. I would rather see umathmodule.c cleaning first,
wo any functionality change, and then, once integrated in the trunk, do
the NaN changes in a branch, in particular because of broken
implementations which will not do what you expect. Personally, I also
have changes for NaN handling, but on my private git import of numpy.

Also, if we fix this, we should fix this once for all, and with a lot of
tests, if only to test on buggy implementations.

cheers,

David