[Numpy-discussion] PyArray_Resize reference counting

Travis E. Oliphant oliphant at enthought.com
Tue Sep 30 18:54:21 EDT 2008

Ravi wrote:
> On Tuesday 30 September 2008 16:26:08 Travis E. Oliphant wrote:
>
>> You need to do something like:
>>
>> temp = PyArray_Resize(array,...)
>> Py_DECREF(array)
>> array = temp
>>

> In this case, since a new array may be returned, is there no way to
> synchronize with other objects holding a reference to the original array?
Hold on!!

I just went to the code and noticed that PyArray_Resize returns None.
So, you certainly don't want to point array to it.  The array does not
get any reference count changes.

There are three concepts here:

1) The array object
2) The memory for the array
3) The reference count on the array object

PyArray_Resize doesn't change 1) or 3), it changes 2)

So,

PyObject *dummy;
dummy = PyArray_Resize(array, ...)
if (dummy == NULL) goto fail;