[Numpy-discussion] xml-rpc with numpy arrays

Lisandro Dalcin dalcinl at gmail.com
Tue Sep 30 23:16:13 EDT 2008

On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 9:27 PM, Brian Blais <bblais at bryant.edu>
> thanks for all of the help.  My initial solution is to pickle my object,
> with the text-based version of pickle, and send it across rpc.  I do this
> because the actual thing I am sending is a dictionary, with lots of arrays,
> and other things.  I'll have a look at the format that Robert sent, because
> that looks useful for other things I am doing.

Did you try to send binary pickles (protocol=2)? Perhaps it works,
give a try! Of course, you need the client and server machines having
the same arch.

> Sebastien, why is sending python objects over the wire not so useful?  is
> there a better way to do this sort of thing than xmlrpc?  I thought it
> looked particularly simple (other than this pickling issue, of course.  :)
>  ).

I believe xmlrpclib is currently the simpler approach. Some day I'll
have the time to implement something similar using MPI communication
with mpi4py. However, I believe it can be done even better: local,
client-side proxies should automatically provide access to all
members/methods of remote, server-side instances. The registering step
needed within xmlrpclib is a bit ugly ;-)

--
Lisandro Dalcín