[Numpy-discussion] DVCS at PyCon

Ondrej Certik ondrej at certik.cz
Tue Apr 7 14:34:14 EDT 2009

2009/4/7 Stéfan van der Walt <stefan at sun.ac.za>:
> 2009/4/6 Ondrej Certik <ondrej at certik.cz>:
>>> FWIW, I tend to agree that Hg is less disruptive than git when coming
>>> from svn, at least for the simple tasks (I don't know hg enough to have
>>> a really informed opinion for more advanced workflows).
>>
>> Yes, git rocks.
>
> Did Sympy move from Hg to Git?

Yes.

> If so, could you give us an overview
> of the pros and cons you experienced?

Here are some my (subjective) observations:

1) I think all developers were able to learn git pretty easily. See also:

http://wiki.sympy.org/wiki/Git_hg_rosetta_stone

2) git is faster

3) it boosted my productivity a lot, thanks to branches. Previously I
was copying the whole directories with sympy, everytime someone sended
a patch, just to try it. I know that hg has branches too, but imho
working with them is a pain, as you can't rebase patches easily, no
interactive rebase etc and also branches were in git from the
beginning, so it's very polished. Hg is catching up I guess, but some
things are still missing.

4) no need to learn mercurial queues, just learn git and git rebase
-i, and that's all I ever need (and it's actually more powerful than
MQ). So git is simpler.

Ondrej