[Numpy-discussion] DVCS at PyCon

Ondrej Certik ondrej at certik.cz
Thu Apr 9 13:58:56 EDT 2009

On Thu, Apr 9, 2009 at 7:15 AM, Matthieu Brucher
<matthieu.brucher at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2009/4/9 David Cournapeau <cournape at gmail.com>:
>> On Thu, Apr 9, 2009 at 10:38 PM, Matthieu Brucher
>> <matthieu.brucher at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I tried to install git on my computer, as git-svn seemed so nice. I
>>> tried git-svn and it told me that some .pm files are missing. Why did
>>> it install git-svn if some files are missing? And why isn't it
>>> possible to get some information on how to install those missing files
>>> on the Internet.
>>
>> For which system did you install it ? I don't think git-svn work well
>> or at all on windows.
>>
>> Otherwise, git has binary installers for every platform which matters.
>> Installing from sources is a bit harder than bzr/hg, but certainly
>> easier than svn, if you need to,
>
> Installed from source on a RH4. It complains about missing SVN/Core.pm.

One thing about git-svn is that this is not really needed if you just
use git and I installed git from source on many linuxes and clusters
and it just works, as it is just pure C. I usually just use git-svn on
my laptop/workstation, where I install the Debian/Ubuntu packages, and
I create the git repository, upload to github.com or somewhere else
and just work with the git repository.

But I agree that if it installs git-svn and it doesn't just work, it's
a big problem.

Ondrej