[Numpy-discussion] DVCS at PyCon

Andrew Straw strawman at astraw.com
Thu Apr 9 14:16:28 EDT 2009

Matthieu Brucher wrote:
>> One thing about git-svn is that this is not really needed if you just
>> use git and I installed git from source on many linuxes and clusters
>> and it just works, as it is just pure C. I usually just use git-svn on
>> my laptop/workstation, where I install the Debian/Ubuntu packages, and
>> I create the git repository, upload to github.com or somewhere else
>> and just work with the git repository.
>>
>> But I agree that if it installs git-svn and it doesn't just work, it's
>> a big problem.
>
> I was inquiring the use of git with the use of one of our internal svn
> repositories, just to have a feeling about it :(

My opinion is that attempting to use git-svn to get a feeling of git is
not a good idea. There's too much slowness of svn involved, too much
pain of trying to learn git while also trying to learn git-svn (which
itself has corner cases and such that pure git doesn't) and there's no
bidirectional 1:1 mapping between branches (that I've found),
eliminating a huge part of the joy of git -- cheap branches.

Better to start developing on a pure git project to get a feel. You
can't go wrong with sympy, for example. :)

-Andrew