[Numpy-discussion] DVCS at PyCon

Ondrej Certik ondrej at certik.cz
Fri Apr 10 01:56:17 EDT 2009

On Thu, Apr 9, 2009 at 10:25 PM, David Cournapeau
<david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp> wrote:
> josef.pktd at gmail.com wrote:
>> So, for my
>> style, working with different clones instead of branches seems easier.
>>

> Yes, it is.  There is no denying that git makes it more difficult for
> this workflow, and that git is more difficult at first for easy tasks. I
> am interested in making it as easy as possible, and if it is indeed too
> difficult, then maybe git is out.

It is maybe easier to learn how to work with different clones, but
once you start working with lots of patches and you need to reclone
all the time, then it's the wrong approach to work, as it takes lots
of time to copy the whole repository on the disk. I worked like that
with mercurial and I hated it, especially once I started to have ~15
branches.

Git branches are cheap and fast.

Besides, imho, you can work with different clones with git too, if you want.

Ondrej