[Numpy-discussion] help getting started

Zachary Pincus zachary.pincus at yale.edu
Fri Apr 10 14:23:35 EDT 2009

Hi John,

First, did you build your own Python 2.6 or install from a binary?
When you type "python" at the command prompt, which python runs? (You
can find this out by running "which python" from the command line.)

Second, it appears that numpy is *already installed* for a non-apple
python 2.5 on your computer. (Either you manually built that python,
or installed it from an installer, and then you built or installed
numpy for that python?) I can tell this because you have a directory:

/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/python2.5/site-
packages/numpy

which normally gets created during the process of installing numpy for
Python 2.5. Unless you manually created this directory yourself
somehow? Anyhow, that directory is *not* the source-code directory
that you should be running numpy's setup.py from; it is the directory
that the installation process for numpy copies all of the necessary
files into!

Anyhow, how did you come to be executing commands from that directory?
The numpy install instructions definitely don't have a "cd /Library/
Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/python2.5/site-packages/
numpy" step...

So, if you want to use numpy with python 2.5, you should be all set
already. If you need to use it with 2.6, then you will want to
download the source code into a directory somewhere -- say in your
home folder. Then execute "python setup.py install" from *this*
directory. (Note: if typing "python" does not run python 2.6, but
instead runs python 2.5, you will want to do "python2.6 setup.py
install"...

Feel free to ask any more questions -- I'm heading out the door, so
this might be a bit terse.

Zach