[Numpy-discussion] DVCS at PyCon

David Cournapeau cournape at gmail.com
Fri Apr 10 23:49:35 EDT 2009

On Sat, Apr 11, 2009 at 12:37 PM, Charles R Harris
<charlesr.harris at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 10, 2009 at 8:17 PM, David Cournapeau <cournape at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, Apr 11, 2009 at 10:59 AM, Eric Firing <efiring at hawaii.edu> wrote:
>>

>> > Important note: if there are any uncommitted changes when you run git
>> > checkout, Git will behave very strangely. The strangeness is predictable
>> > and sometimes useful, but it is best to avoid it. All you need to do, of
>> > course, is commit all the new changes before checking out the new head.
>>
>> If by strange and confused, the OP means refuse to change branch, then
>> yes. Otherwise, I have no idea what he is talking about. Maybe an old
>> git version - he does not say which one he is using.
>>
>> Also, it is said in the introduction that the OP was using git but did
>> not understand what was happening under the hood. So his conclusion is
>> you have to understand git internals to understand git internals ?
>> Sounds tautological to me.
>
> I think he meant that it is easier to correctly use the knobs and levers of
> git if you understand what they relate to the repository, and that means
> knowing how the depository tracks things. I found his exposition helpful.

Yes, his exposition is well written otherwise - much better than what
you find on more "google visible" git expositions (I happen to think
that git is badly "marketed" by some vocal people). But does this
really look harder than hg ? I can't see a big difference. You need to
know about heads, branches, parents and the likes in any DVCS if you
use branches, no ?

And the ton of my previous answer was not appropriate anyway, I apologize.

David